Currently Chief Executive SurvivorsUK (caring and campaigning for adult males who have been raped or sexually assaulted); Chair of the Executive Committee of the World Federalist Movement/Institute for Global Policy (New York) that seeks improved international governance structures; Chair of Wyndham Place Charlemagne Trust; Chair of Charity 2020; trustee and secretary Parliamentary Outreach Trust, trustee Universal Peace Federation; Vice Chair L4E (London for Europe); Secretary of the European Movement; Patron of TEAMGlobal (The European-Atlantic Movement); frequent media appearances on migration and other matters.
• Freeman of the City of London; liveryman (Loriner).
• Author of several books and articles; delivered keynote speeches both in the UK and abroad. Speaks French and Welsh; married with two daughters. Ran the London Marathon in 1982 and abseiled down the highest hospital tower in the world (Guy’s) in 2009 for charity. Enjoys being useful!
• Former Chief Executive of national charity Freedom from Torture 2010-2014; Vice Chair of the European Council on Refugees and Exiles; served on the Foreign Secretary’s Advisory Panel on Torture Prevention.
• Former Chief Executive of IAS (Immigration Advisory Service) 1993-2009.
• Former Director of Prisoners Abroad (national charity) 1989-1993.
• Former practising barrister (1972-1987) and Member of Parliament (Anglesey/Ynys Môn) 1979-87; Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Wales; named in the Society Guardian as one of the 100 most influential people in public services in the UK.
• Major in airborne and commando forces; awarded the Territorial Decoration.
• Formerly founder Chair of the Association of Registered Immigration Advisers; Chair Electronic Immigration Network [national charity]; Chair Electoral Reform Society and Council member; Chair Electoral Reform International Services undertaking democracy work worldwide; Chair International Council of Parliamentarians for Global Action (Five Continents Peace Initiative with six Presidents and Prime Ministers of Non Aligned Movement); Brighton Borough Councillor (Chair of Lands Committee); founder trustee of Bangladesh Female Academy.